Volunteer Counsellor Placements
We offer counselling placements for counsellors in training or qualified counsellors.
Highbury Counselling Centre was established in 1988 by the West London Mission, which runs a wide range of services for people affected by personal crisis. Highbury Counselling Centre offers affordable and professional counselling/psychotherapy to members of the community above the age of 18, without any restriction of income or place of residence.
The application pack consists of the following documents:
- A leaflet presenting HCC
- An application form
- An Equal Opportunity monitoring form
- HCC Interview Process
- Being at least in the second or final year of a professionally recognised counselling/psychotherapy training with a strong clinical focus.
- Your self-development and level of self-awareness through your own personal therapy and training.
- Some experience of one to one counselling work with clients in an organisational setting or relevant experience.
What we ask for:
- Two year commitment for clinical work.
- Taking on a case load of 3 clients per year.
- Regular attendance of HCC supervision.
- Commitment to one’s personal and professional development.
- Attending Service-wide activities, like the Away Day or in-house offered CPDs.
- Maintaining a professional conduct in all your dealings with HCC clients and staff.
What we offer:
- A conducive environment that will support you in your learning and development as a therapist.
- An opportunity to practice in an integrative service, working with clients on longer-term contracts of one year.
- High quality group supervision by experienced counsellors, psychotherapists and counselling psychologists. Supervision takes place on a fortnight and there are up to four counsellors in each group.
- An opportunity to get involved with activities in the other West London Mission projects, and events in the wider organisation at West London Mission.
To apply for a placement, please check that you fulfil our selection criteria, fill in the application form and return it to us by email.
We will particularly welcome applications from qualified counsellors working towards their professional qualifications or interested in working for a voluntary agency.
Our recruitment is open throughout the year, if we don’t have vacancies at the time when we receive your application, we will keep your details on file and consider your application when we next have a vacancy.
Please note that we receive a high volume of applications and we are unfortunately not able to reply to each unsuccessful applicant. We will acknowledge receipt of your application but will only contact applicants selected for interview.
If you have any specific question regarding your application, please contact us at Highburycounselling@wlm.org.uk or on 020 7354 4791.